Patrickswell GAA












All Ireland Féile na nGael Finals (July 2012)
 (Please click on the photos to enlarge)

Action photos from Thursday 5/7/12 courtesy of Brendan Cawley:


Some more photos courtesy of St. Vincent's:
Photos from the homecoming on Saturday 7/7/12:


Some more photos courtesy of Seán Ahern:


(Match report courtesy of James McCarthy, PRO):
The Under 14 hurlers performed heroically at Feile na nGael in Dublin last week. Despite the atrocious weather, Patrickswell produced excellent performances before bowing out in the semi-final. The boys returned to Limerick as one of the best four teams in the country. In the opening match on Thursday (5/7/12), Patrickswell faced their host club from St. Vincent’s. It was a fiercely contested battle; however the visitors edged the hosts by 3-6 to 3-5. The first obstacle had been overcome and nerves were steadied.

The next match against Kilmacud Crokes on Friday (6/7/12) was a classic game of two halves. Patrickswell were electric in the first half and surged into the lead with goals from Jordan Higgins and Jamie Dillon. At half-time, the lead was a very comfortable 2-1 to 0-1. However, Crokes were not willing to concede defeat and dominated the second half. Amazingly, they held the ‘Well scoreless and clawed back the deficit to earn a 2-1 to 1-4 draw. This result meant that the boys had to beat James Stephens of Kilkenny, who had secured two victories to date.

The group decider didn’t start positively as the Kilkenny side raced into a 1-1 to 0-0 lead. The ‘Well regained their composure and began to chip away at the margin. John Flynn was in great form as he nailed three consecutive frees to level the scores at 1-1 to 0-4. At the break, the game was delicately poised at 1-2 to 0-5. The second half was a low-scoring affair and extremely tense. The game was decided by a late free that John Flynn sailed over the bar. There were jubilant scenes as Patrickswell emerged as 0-7 to 1-3 victors against the odds. It was heartbreaking for The Village, but the Limerick boys had topped the group undefeated.

The gruelling schedule continued into the wet Dublin evening. Patrickswell faced strong opposition from St. Brigid’s of Dublin. The game was played in appalling conditions that did not suit hurling. St. Brigid’s adapted faster and were soon in control. An early goal gave them the upper hand as they built a 1-4 to 0-2 lead. The Patrickswell recovery began with a goal from Jordan Higgins and a subsequent point from John Flynn to slash the score at 1-4 to 1-3 down. Unfortunately, the Dublin side found an extra gear and tacked on three unanswered points to win by 1-7 to 1-3. It was disappointment for the tired Patrickswell players, but they had performed admirably and represented Limerick with distinction. Indeed, St. Brigid’s became the eventual winners with an extra time triumph over Clarinbridge.

Patrickswell GAA wishes to thank St. Vincent’s GAA and Dublin GAA for the great hospitality that was shown to the players, parents and officials from our club. We look forward to returning the favour to visitors in 2013. Well done to all the players, coaches, parents and supporters – including Janet O’Carroll for her superb coverage on Twitter. We are also grateful to everyone who attended the homecoming parade on Saturday and those who provided refreshments in the clubhouse.


Copyright © 2004 Patrickswell GAA Club